Saturday, February 27, 2010

snow country


As the speeding train came rolling out of the long tunnel, I realized that I was now in the snow country. Like the famous opening line in Yasunari Kawabata's famous novel "snow country," I was in awe as the scenery outside had changed completely over a few minutes in the tunnel.
What's interesting is that, this was probably the same area that was described in the novel, so I got to experience it first hand.
Yesterday I headed out to the Oku-Aga area of Niigata prefecture , a rice growing area which I have photographed and written about in the past. You can't see anything but snow, but it's a wonderful experience to witness the changing four seasons in Japan. If it wasn't for the short business trip, I would've liked to have stayed in the area for some serious winter photography.
At the end of the day, I had a real treat at a local rice farmer's house with fresh rice and vegetables. Ummmm... that was great, and very healthy. It made me appreciate the simple delicacy of japanese food which I take for granted. This is healthy food for the body, mind, and soul.