Friday, February 02, 2007

getting the job done


The job that took me to Beijing recently seemed like an easy one at first, where if I'm lucky I would get the shot done on the first day and spend the rest of the time being a tourist. It didn't turn out that way, and when the sun set on me the first day, I was feeling the pressure. I always try to plan my trips so there is a weather contingency, but being in an unfamiliar city is another good reason to cushion yourself. It took me a day and a half of walking around to figure out the time and place I had to be to get my shot. Then, when I was there I realized there were other problems such as the position of the sun, and exposure values. After the second day, I felt there were adequate shots where I could relax a bit. However, adequate is not enough when you have a client spending alot of money to fly you out there. I realized I had a few hours before I headed out to the airport on the third day, so I forced myself out of bed again at 5am and into the sub zero climate. Glad I did that, because by then I had a grasp of what I was going o face which made me work more efficiently. The best results actually came out of this last effort.

My experiences within this business over the years have taught me that I am always rewarded for that extra effort I make when the situation is difficult. There's that extra push from someone up there when you're faced with a steep hill you think you can't climb, but nevertheless try.

Recently, I was reading a comment made by a fellow photographer John Harrington where he stated that a photographer's fee is not about the amount of hours spent on a shoot, but about the
photographer's experience where he/she can always get the job done even under the most difficult circumstances. I agree with that. The term "professional" photographer has certainly changed its meaning for me over the years. When I was just starting out 23 years ago, I used to define it as a person who just made a living off of photography. How shallow was that?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

write some more!

April 11, 2007 12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the preceding post! write some more! it's my first time to visit your blog, and i must say: wow!

May 28, 2007 4:28 PM  
Blogger yasooo said...

Thank you for your kind comments. I admitI have been slack with my blog, but I intend to correct that real soon. The blog will come back, cheers!

May 28, 2007 11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an enlightening post! Not only did you share your experiences on this particular job, but you also gave insight into why you are such an amazing photographer. Your dedication and commitment are evident in your work and your writing and are only exceeded by your energy and creativity. You are a true professional! Keep up the awesome work!

July 01, 2007 12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home