Sunday, December 03, 2006

shadows on the wall

Shadows are very cool. It's graphic, symbolic, and leaves the viewer to expand his/her imagination to what may be the story in a picture. This image was shot with a point and shoot digital compact (Lumix LX2) at Haneda airport recently. You can tell from the color that it's late afternoon, and I see what looks like a travelling family. I never bothered to turn around to see if this was indeed what I was shooting, because it didn't matter. I'm just interested in the shadow story, so I shot a dozen frames of various people passing by, and it was quite a satisfying photo moment.
Just today, a fan of this blog had sent me a link to an interesting inteview between Edouard Boubat and Frank Horvat. In this interview, they were discussing about how photography is a process of subtraction where the photo is left with nothing more than what was needed. I think shadows are just that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just love this image
it tells the story so completely yet leaves the room for our own imagination

i can almost see myself walking down there with my family with a mixed emotion of releaf, excitement, and tiredness after a long flight

December 20, 2006 6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home